Monday, April 25, 2011

I Love These Babies!

One of the things I do like about living in Idaho, is the amount of Canadian Geese that live here. I absolutely love watching them fly across the skies, honking and talking to each other. They stop and drink in the puddles our sprinklers leave, build their nests pretty much anywhere they want and are really not that scared of people.


In fact, my husband's work even has signs out reminding you to be quiet and not drive fast through the parking lot as not disturb them during nesting season. There are hundreds of them nesting on the grounds there. I just love how they respect their needs.




Saturday we went to the Boise Zoo and right in the middle of a busy walkway was this nest and babies! At first it was one of those things that you really could not believe that is what you were seeing...but sure enough, there were babies under the wing!

It was hard to see how many were under there. I thought I saw four.


Then this one popped up to take a look out of the wing - five.





Six little babies under there!!


I could have stayed there all day and watched them but my family insisted on seeing the rest of the zoo. All of the animals were getting their Easter meals and that was equally as fun to watch. It was our first beautiful sunny (but chilly) day here in Boise and we were all enjoying the sun. For all the days I miss California, this made up for some of them...a little. *Ü*




15 comments :

  1. It's quite the opposite where I live. The geese are not welcomed creatures around beaches and playgrounds. Some local beaches actually have to close if the feces left by the geese cause causes a high level of bacteria in the water and sand. Soccer fields can get covered by their poop too so some public parks have "do not feed the geese" signs. Their poop is not small and the contamination caused by it is unhealthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo cute. The kids and I loved the photos and laughed out loud at the picture of the little gossling peeking out it's head! Thanks for posting

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing those incredible photos!! I am like you, I would have wanted to just sit quietly and watch them all day!! Truly beautiful creations of our Awesome God!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to clarify, I think they are beautiful creatures too. We just don't like all their poop on our lakefront beach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwww, so cute! We love the honking of the Canadian Geese as they fly by in the mornings and evenings. Now I'll think of you when I hear them. :-) The baby in the wing is precious. What a nice view you had! Happy Easter, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the geese around here are not so welcome due to the mess they leave and they have been known to attack people who come too close. On another note, having grown up in Boise, I can remember when the weather at Easter was so nice that we could have picnics at Julia Davis Park. Look forward to a late August visit to Boise this summer for Borah Class reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot imagine that...thanks for sharing such a wonderful pictorial of your special Easter treat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for taking these wonderful photos of the geese family. How cool was that! Are or Were you a Californian??? Life isn't always about paper... I know right!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Should i package up some Canadian Geese and send them out your way.... : )

    Same as Gail's comment they aren't welcome here because of all their poop!! BUT they are lovely creatures.. maybe they can be potty trained??....LOL.

    What an awesome day you had with your family!

    Happy Easter : )
    Natasha

    www.diaryoftwocraftygirls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too would love to package up all of the obnoxious Canadian geese that honk incessantly, poop in my yard, and chase any visitors in the yard. I can honestly say I don't know anyone who likes geese or has something nice to say about them. Here in Indiana we sit think about how to get rid of the geese, not welcome them. I am glad for you that the geese make you smile. Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so awesome Becky! Thanks for sharing it with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Becky these are just too cute! Thanks so much for sharing for all of us to see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are so cute! Love these shots. Come by my blog - I tagged you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm from South-Western Ontario and I think the geese are beautiful as well. I don't notice them to be in the public areas but more to their own enviromwnt of the small lak3es and bodies of water.
    I would think it was odd to see them so close to busy and public area. Like you Becky, I can watch animals and babies all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) named after ornithologist John Canada. These geese do not have Canadian Citizenship so are not Canadian Geese.
    While this is a common mistake, I thought you should know. There are 7 recognized subspecies of Canada geese: Atlantic, Hudson Bay or Interior, Giant, Moffitt's or Great Basin, Lesser, Dusky and Vancouver

    ReplyDelete